Friday 5 February 2016

Tattoo #12 - Four years later

I had planned on writing these pieces in the chronological order of my tattoos but the Universe had other plans for me.  

Four years ago today, one of my beloved students was killed in a car accident, taking with him the life of another student from my school.  This accident was the beginning of the most challenging year in my life – a tsunami of tears and grief that never seemed to end. 

Two years after those horrific months, I booked a tattoo appointment for a memorial chest piece dedicated to the two young men killed in two separate car accidents that year and to a colleague who also passed that year.  This piece was started 16 years after my first tattoo.

No automatic alt text available.

Alex Rousey, my tattoo therapist, created a beautiful piece made up of 2 skulls in the style of dia de los muertos, the day of the dead.  The skull on the left is cracked and broken, while the one on the right is whole; healed.  Each skull contains a candle of remembrance.  The skulls are brought together in the centre by a play on the sacred heart.  I asked Alex to create a broken heart pinned back together with staples – a nod to the survivors of the accident (boys I was very close to – one of whom was seriously injured…had to have his abdomen stapled together).  Alex gave the heart stitches, criss-crossed in the center of the heart to hold it together.


At the top, just under my neck, is written:  Plus forte que jamais…Stronger than ever.  I heard these words in the movie Hereafter.  The heroine had been off work after surviving a near death experience when she nearly drown in a tsunami.  Her boss/lover asked her if she was ready to come back to work and she replied “plus forte que jamais.”  She was ready to get her life back to a sense of normalcy, one where she was open to accepting what happened to her; to open herself to the healing process; to move beyond merely surviving the grief. 
 
When I saw that movie and heard those words, I was also ready to be open to a life without grief and the black days of mourning.  I knew then that I needed to wear those words forever…not merely as a reminder to press on but as a reminder that the Universe cares for us in our darkest days and sends comfort in many guises. 

For me, then, Hereafter, was one of those comforts.  The movie, if you haven’t seen it, is a brilliant discussion of life after death and connections to those who have passed into the “…undiscovered country…”  It was a great source of comfort to me in those days when I thought I was getting messages from those dead boys but wasn’t sure if I was just imagining the “signs” because I missed them so much.  Hereafter made me feel less crazy during a crazy time.  It brought me a lot of peace – and also gave me permission to grieve the way I needed to grieve.

During the days when I would go in and get worked on, the boys revealed themselves in songs on the radio, in the things that people would say, and in my dreams.  They knew I was dedicating a piece of flesh to them, to dance into the pain for beauty…and as I healed, I was healing.



Two years ago the tattoo was finished.  Four years ago the pain began.  Today I am in a different place…a better place, I think – thanks to my friends and family. 

A family friend gave my daughter the best sentiment when she was deep in the throes of grief for her dear friend who died in a car accident six weeks after the one that happened four years ago today.  He told her:  things don’t get better – they just get different.  He knew from firsthand experience.  His father had recently died, at that time, and his best friend died when he was a teenager, from prostate cancer. 

Those word were the best thing to have said at that time.

Today I am so grateful for the people who loved me back to health.  For those who embraced me in my pain and waited me out...those who said "your pain is welcome here."   For those whose compassion was the difference between light and darkness.

Thank you to them…


And thank you, Alex, for a beautiful piece…for giving me beauty out of my pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment