Sunday 27 November 2016

Part One: The Walk in the Darkness

It started in the same way it always starts:  the end of the bad day at school.  It began with a bad day at school and my funeral pants.  I chose to wear the fucking funeral pants.  I knew I shouldn’t.  I wasn’t going to but I had to test it.  I wore those pants to the funeral for D and for C and for R.  All kids.  All beloved and missed.  Would that energy follow me?  Oh, it did and it turned out to be a day so bad I had to run away to the forest at dusk when I got home.

So, awash with burden and anger and frustration, suffering from PTSD in the chill and wind and rain; feeling the grief again and ashamed that after nearly five years all that shit still felt fresh – as fresh as it did five years ago – I ran away to the forest in the lingering dark.

It was beautiful for my mood.  It was dreary and rainy and chilly.  I started my loop from the top of the hill near the condos.  It was perfect poetry weather. Perfect.  I scrolled through my music, before I got out into the rain, and my eyes fell on Leonard Cohen.  I immediately tapped his name.  I hadn’t properly had some time with him since his passing and Dylan had just sent me a picture of his flower laden stoop the night before.  Perfect.  Now was the time.

I pushed play, cowled myself with my rain hood, pulled my scarf up to my nose and stepped into the rain.  The opening lines of Suzanne purred into my skull and my whole body filled with warmth.  Deep, reverberating sadness, too.  I felt the poetry of the moment in the deepening dusk and the wind and the rain – in the naked trees shattering the skyline in the deepening dark – and my aching heart.  The tears slowly started to come, one at a time, and mix with the rain droplets on my face.  By the time I got to the back field it was all but dark.

And then the three-quarter time, waterfall waltz swirled around me and, for the first time I heard: O, the sisters of mercy they are not departed or gone, they were waiting for me when I thought that I just can’t go on.  I settled into the heaviness then, surrendered to it and let it come upon me in the fullness of its weight in the ever deepening dark.  By the time I got to the back field, it was all but dark.  There was enough light for me to see the ground so I didn’t slip and fall in the squelchy spots where the path was muddiest.  I constantly had to renegotiate my footing on grass as he sang his goodbyes first to the woman with the hair upon the pillow like a sleepy golden storm and then to Marriane and it didn’t occur to me until the next morning, as I wrote my pages by candle light of the early black morning, that I had lost my footing – was losing my footing – with my neediest group at school because I believed I didn’t really have it in me to fall in love with them as I have in the past…but let’s not talk of love or chains or things we can’t untie…

The deeper I walked into the darkness of the falling sky, I realised I couldn’t care anymore. I felt that I was too afraid and too tired.  I was haunted by the notion that I had chosen to wear my funeral pants because my other pants were too tight and I didn’t feel like enduring the indignity of denim squeezing self-esteem over the waist band of my jeans.

I just knew something bad was going to happen when I put on those pants.  Maybe that thought – that energy – poisoned my day.  I thought about that, too, as I approached the graveyard parallel to the path I walk.  By now Famous Blue Raincoat played and my whole body filled with heaviness.  I felt every chill and just wanted to sit and listen to Cohen sing my hurts and frustrations and hopelessness away.  I wanted to sit on a bench and look out into the valley, with its golden yard lights on weeping farms, and dream of days in my childhood when I would look for city lights, or stars, at the darkest part of night, before I knew the Northern Lights.

The day had started so beautifully with a gorgeous pink sunrise and a vivid rainbow in the west when I was on my way to drop Dante off at school before my meeting.  I remembered none of those things trudging, wet and cold, up the hill back to the car to The Chelsea Hotel filling my head. 

Then it hit me.  Leonard Cohen is dead.  This God among poets is dead and only people like me have been left behind to carry on what he started. 

The last thought made my breath catch…a hiccup almost…of sheer panic; complete terror or maybe shame.  And just under the murmur of The Guests came the realisation that I would never be able to write anything as good as Cohen.  Ever.

I had to sit down.  I perched myself on a metal bench and looked out into the dark valley at the headlights creeping over the Mission bridge – the caterpillar of light – and kept feeling that realisation over and over and over, deeper into my body. Hallelujah started and confirmed the thought.

I just wept there on that cold bench, for the world without poetry and wondered how we would ever survive it…clenching your fist for the ones like us who are oppressed by the figures of beauty…well never mind, we are ugly but we have the music. 

I went back to the car and wept some more for the dead philosopher poet and my aching heart for the boys I could not love so I could survive in a job that daily does its level best to kill me.  And I tried to write a poem about the burden of stepping in the footprint of the giants, knowing that his shoes will never be filled because I go barefoot:

In this November dark,
by Cohen, I try to find the same paths which comfort by day.
Now in dusk, whispers away from darkness,
there is a privacy in my hood to weep for the world and my tired heart
burdened by the weight of the job to take up the torch of word and song...
To continue the reverberations of Hallelujah in the tower of song and the weight of it all buckles my knees...
blinded by the mascara in my eyes...
wishing for a pen instead of a glowing slab of plastic
to do him justice.

It's too heavy a burden and I am terrified I will never write a decent piece again - 
Nothing will ever be as transcendent as his.
Ever.
While he lived all possibilities were available
but now it's over and too heavy...too much.

There is nothing left in me now.
Love is not enough...and I cannot reach it any more...
the burden of the word is too heavy now.
I have no Suzanne or Marianne and this waltz trips me up now on my grey words.

Maybe I'll feel stronger soon but right now,
in this dark November rain, it is all too heavy to bear.
R. L. Elke
Nov. 22/16

I got home and tried to connect with my husband and son over dinner but just couldn’t do that.  I went to bed to write…then a dear old friend texted me to let me know that a friend of ours from our school days had passed and we missed the funeral.  He had suffered from depression for a long time but was doing well, according to the herald of the news. She had been in contact with him recently – more recent than my correspondence with him over a year ago.

I remembered his impish grin and his wavy brown hair and how was always saying pervy shit – but it was funny…one by one the guests arrive, the guests are coming through.  The open-hearted many, the broken-hearted few…And I realised that we were the losers – the herald, her brother, the deceased, and me – always on the outside looking in at the “cool kids.”  I didn’t know that then.  They were just my friends – the first people to embrace me on my arrival to my millionth school.  I spent the most time with those kids – more time than anywhere in my life to that point.  We were the losers and one of us felt that burden into adulthood…we all felt that burden but one of us couldn’t reconcile it and free it…it became so heavy for him that the burden was too heavy for him to bear. 

I made several attempts to write poems to capture that walk and the weight of the realisation of my inadequacy to become a mentor of the next generation of poets, and it just became too much.  I turned off my light, after closing my book and putting the pen in its spine.  I turned off my light and wept to The Guests and The Song of Burnadette – which kills me everytime – and I Came So Far For Beauty.   

I wept for poetry, and my career, and for Dusty – sweet, strange Dusty – who felt so lonely and other that he needed to leave.

One by one, the guests arrive,
The guests are coming through,
The open-hearted many
The broken-hearted few…

And those who dance, begin to dance
Those who weep begin
And “welcome, welcome” cries a voice
“Let all my guests come in.”


Never.  My bare feet are too tiny to fill these shoes.  Nov. 23/16



No comments:

Post a Comment