Sunday 12 August 2018

The rest of the journey - Episode 1

There is no way I will be posting the whole thing at once.  I just finished writing up the rest of the trip and it is NINE pages long. 

I will give you a few now and a few tomorrow and a few the day after...keep you wanting more, maybe...

I wander a bit, like our trip did, but it's ok.  I think.

Enjoy: Episode 1


 “How do you carry the land?  How do you carry the place where you were born, that you may have lost or have been forced to leave?  How do you carry lands that you visit or pass through?  How do you relate to the land where you are?  When do you carry the land with you?  How does the land offer to be carried?  How does carrying the land change you, change us?” Tara Hogue, Senior Curatorial Fellow, Indigenous Art, VAG











I so desperately wanted to daily record answers to these questions as I roamed the land that made me.  I so desperately needed to be present to the whispers and roars of me in those places that shaped me…so did my father.  In the end, the post I wanted to break up into several will be one. 

Perhaps that is the most appropriate.  Bring together all of those pieces into the mosaic that is me now, 51 years old, fragments mortared together with Prairie dust and river water, hail and rain and sweat; sweetgrass, wheat, and grasshopper legs…and the blood of slapped mosquitoes. 

Honestly, I just wanted everything to be as I remembered it. Needed everything to be as I remembered it because then I knew, somehow, I would find my mother there whole and hearty – smiling at the many kitchen tables, laughing in the many “rumpus rooms,” drink and cigarette in hand, filling the house with the parts of her I wanted to remember.  I needed there to be a place where I was, where I existed, that held me before the now, before the miles had been put on that wore holes in my heart and made my skin thin and threadbare in patches, belying the wear of the corduroy roads on my frame.  I needed the places that carry me and I needed them to be *exactly* as I remembered them.

I needed that.  That is not what happened.

In true Stones fashion I didn’t get what I wanted but I found I got what I needed.  And there lies the teachings.  As usual.  And, as usual, it took some distance from the places and the visits to gain some perspective…if any can really be had from such an emotional place.

If I remember correctly, the last place my last post left off was our arrival into Regina. 

The Queen city is, like our current regent, a little in need of updates and, like our current regent, is in the act of trying desperately to bring itself, slowly, into the current century.  We were greeted by massive construction on the highways leading into the city which, in the rising blood moon, was disorienting and did nothing to help my memories locate the places I remembered until we got to the Parliament buildings, half way down Albert St.  Even then I barely remembered the buildings or streets…30 years create fog banks to make recognition of places and faces nearly impossible. The darkness didn’t really help either…take that how you will.

In the morning, we decided we would partake in the local coffee establishment: Robin’s Doughnuts as an homage to the days before “Timmy’s” and set the plan for the day.  Robin’s held many a high school conversation between myself and my friends:  plans for the weekend, plans for grad, plans for what came after all of that.  Stress about homework, relationships, sex…all of it hovered in the mocha-scented air of these gritty coffee joints. 

As for me and dad, we really didn’t need to plan the day.  We knew we were going to be stopping at all of the houses we lived in, maybe not in chronological order, but however we happened upon them.  The order ended up being chronological.  Dad remembered them all.  This impressed me to no end.  I hardly remembered the most recent place I lived in with them as a family.  It did not look the same to me at all and I probably would have been able to emotionally buttress myself better for that realisation had we not started at the Fine Arts building…the old Fine Arts building – the place we (those of us who attended before the upgrades) affectionately referred to as the “old campus.” 


Walking up to the one hundred year old steps softened me in a way I had not expected.  I wanted to weep walking around the front of a building I had given so many hours of my early adulthood to – hours which I see now had a tremendous hand in forming the foundation of the person I was to become.  I thought of all of the people I loved and lost, all of the projects which had come to fruition, and the many wonderful teachers I learned from…not merely about theatre but also about how to be a thoughtful, compassionate, passionate human being.  If I had had any tobacco on my person, I would have left some for Kerry, for Bill, for Jake, for Denise, for Michael, for David, for Trish, and even for Gregson (who turned out to be a total fraud…faked his credentials to get the gig.  We didn’t know until the following year – thought all of Jake’s grumbling about this was just bitchiness).  These were people who recognised me as an individual – strong and passionate and a bit of a pain in the ass.  Bill Dixon called me out as his “answering machine” in Drama 100 (essentially a drama lit class in the lecture theatres on the main campus) in the early days.  I did not see this as an insult at all.  Being his teacher’s pet was the best thing I could have ever done for my blossoming intellectual ego.  As it turns out, he and I became quite good friends.  I am sure he has passed by now.  I loved him very much.


The same story could be said for my theatre history prof Kerry, from my grad year.  He was one of the top three teachers I have ever had.  He recognised my passion for dramaturgy and how I was underappreciated as an acting talent in the department, and encouraged me to boycott my obligatory audition in my final semester of my fourth year because I would not be cast in the roles I deserved due to departmental politics.  No one had ever addressed the politics before.  He could.  He was an “outsider.” 

I took his advice and never regretted it.  We remained friends until his death in 1997. 

How do I carry that place?  In my fiber.  In my marrow. 

I remember walking past the entrance to the SIFC (Saskatchewan Indian Federated College) during my years in the “main buildings,” before the FA campus claimed me full-time, wishing I could go there, too.  I didn’t know who I was then.  I only felt this magnetic tug and envy of those who got to go to that school.  I wanted to know what they were learning.

How do I carry that place?  In the resonance of my heart beat – the halls of both campuses stamped on me the mark of the first grandchild, on both sides of my family, to attend university.  No pressure.  Literally…no pressure.  I don’t think anyone really gave a shit.  I defined myself as separate from my family unit in those halls.  My sister dropped out after one semester, my dad didn’t graduate, and my mom took an extra year.  School wasn’t really a priority for them.  They did, however, support my love of school and helped to ease my pressure by paying for my tuition, letting me live in the house rent free, and giving me a car and gas.  I had it pretty damned good. 

This place was love for me.  Pure and simple.  I got to do everything I loved with the people I loved most in that place.  I had a short, torrid affair with a married man; I had a short, torrid affair with a sculpting major; I had a short, torrid affair with theatre which would haunt me for decades after, like ghost pains of amputated lovers.


That first stop that day would be the only place that hadn’t changed.  It was the only place that still remembered me in any recognisable way.  It was the only place where I could recognise the parts of me still haunting the spaces.  I could see myself in the hallways and window panes.  Having said that, I did not go inside to witness the changes brought to the spaces.  The building now houses film production companies and the classrooms and acting spaces have been converted into offices.  I don’t even know if the theatre is still intact.  It’s a good thing, for sure, that I didn’t go inside.

We moved on to the main campus book store where I dropped some significant cash on poetry, indigenous history, and indigenous research methodology texts.  I held back from dropping even more cash on Cree language resources and so much more poetry.  I felt the familiar pangs of jealousy of being on the outside of all that I wanted to learn, this time feeling the total weight of the passage of time and how there would never be enough time to learn what I long to learn.

Driving away from the campus, I felt the pull of memory to the icy winter nights spent on top of the science building, star gazing for my astronomy class…the air so cold as to freeze the ink in our pens when we tried to take notes on our observations.  Fingers became achingly cold in seconds.  More time was spent going back and forth between blue-lit rooms to warm our hands and our pens that was actually spent outside in observation of the sky.  I smiled to recall the sense of pride at surviving that lab class. Biology or Chem students didn’t have to deal with that.  A different breed of person took astronomy…one with math skills, evidently (that is a whole other blog post).

1 comment: