Sunday 1 June 2014

The First Post in a Family Series




Week one.  Lockout/walk out combo.

Support on the picket line was amazing.  Very few people took time out of their day to swear at us or give us the finger.  That was nice.  In 2005, teachers took their lives in their hands, or so it felt, to identify publicly as a teacher – never mind walking the picket line on those dark, rainy, dreary days.
           
Wednesday my daughter, who walked the line with me on my Tuesday picket day, drove me to work (front tires are hooped and I can’t afford to fix them now…thanks, Christy).  She listened to CBC with me so I could catch up on any bargaining news.  What she heard, interspersed with the support, were a number of completely misinformed people spout off about how we are lazy (because of the summers off) and in no way deserve the kind of increase we are asking for.  She became very angry at these opinions born out of ignorance and wanted to set the record straight. 

I suggested she write down her perspectives and I would post it here.   She agreed.  So did her two brothers.  So did my husband.

Over the next several days, I will be posting their words for you to see how the lives of teachers, the reality of the job, impact the lives of their families.

I was so happy to see Todd Kettner’s letter to Christy Clark, and gang, because finally a support person has gotten some attention for their tireless work and dedication to the most vulnerable kids and families in our province. 

That dedication does not come without a price.  A very high price.  Our mental health is compromised daily as we keep putting one foot in front of the other because, in many cases, we are the only ones who step up for these vulnerable families and youth.

I say “we” because I, too am a support teacher.  I, too have had to counsel kids and families through loss, frustration, and heart break.  In one school year in my district, we lost count of how many kids died from car accidents, suicide, or o.ds.  Some of those kids were grads and some were kids we saw everyday…used to see everyday.  Kids whose chairs were now empty.

Kids in our classrooms. 

My classroom.

My heart goes out to those teachers and the community in New Denver.  I have lost kids, too.  If it weren’t for people like Todd Kettner, I probably wouldn’t be writing this today. 

At the time of the losses I was working in two schools – my “home” school and at a trades program with a couple dozen at risk boys, three teachers, and an EA.  We were all very close. The loss was devastating to a group of kids whose lives were already difficult for them in one way or another.

I felt completely separated from my “home” school community for many reasons, not the least of which were the circumstances of the car accident.  Two vehicles crashed into each other.  The friends of the kids in one car were angry at the friends and kids in the other.  Some adults even got in on the division.  It was unbelievably difficult.

The day after the car accident, my school community wrapped around me like a blanket to keep me from falling apart.  My colleagues left me messages telling me that my pain was welcome there and I was to come home for love and support.  That meant more to me than I am ever able to say.

I am also a counselor – a substance use counselor – but in the “eye of the storm”
one cannot get any perspective.  I am very grateful to our support staff for those difficult days.  A number of my friends, who are also my colleagues, we by my side at back-to-back funerals.  I don’t think I would have made it with out those people.

The hardest days, though, came after the news teams stopped trying to harass us and the funerals were over.  The hardest days came after the hikes we took with the boys to get them out of the small school so they didn’t have to be in the same places their buddy had been only a week ago.  The hardest days came when we tried to go “back to normal,” when we tried to get the kids back in to a routine, when we tried to get ourselves back to how things were before. 

It was never the same, though. 

The empty chair was a constant reminder of how we would never see the kid’s smile or hear the laugh again.  And, for the survivors of the crash, both for the kids in the vehicle and the kids in the class, the school year was over.  They just couldn’t see the space and that empty chair.

The hardest day, by far was when I was trying to get back to teaching Socials 11 (we were studying the Interwar Years – labour disputes, of all things).  We were marking a worksheet together and I made a statement about how governments in the past would basically hire thugs to beat strikers…then out of my mouth came “and then_____said that they should have fought back more…”  I said the kid’s name - the kid whose seat was empty…like I would say the name of any of the other kids in the room if they had given an example for other questions – like I would on any other day.

My voice trailed off. 

And I remember this like it was yesterday…

I looked into the faces of the ten or so boys who sat there looking at me, my eyes filling with tears, and I said… “I didn’t expect that to happen.  I’m not sure how I feel about this.  Sorry.  I need a minute.” 

I took a minute. 

They took a minute. 

Then we carried on. 

After the lesson, as the boys left for lunch, many of them gave me a hug or a little arm squeeze on the way out of the door. 

I have thought about that moment, the moment when I recalled the comment by the kid whose chair was empty. 

Why did I do that? 

Then it dawned on me:  for that split second I had forgotten that the kid had died.  For that split second I had forgotten that he wasn’t just sleeping in, he was sleeping forever.  For that split second we, all of us in that room and that little school, we were all “normal” again; not drowning in a fog of grief that weighed us down like Atlas.

In every way possible, I feel for the teachers, families, and friends of those lost in Slocan Lake.  I feel for them because in those moments when you forget the loss, and when you remember again, the grief is new. 

My children and my husband had to watch me suffer through that not once, not twice, but three times in four months.  Six weeks after the first car accident, there was a second fatal accident.  Then, less than a month after the second car accident, one of my colleagues passed away. 

During that second loss, my daughter was also impacted by the death.  A very good friend of hers had passed.  Also in a car accident…it was a repeat of something we never wanted to go through again.

My youngest son, 9 at the time, was so impacted by the grief in the house that he began to write poetry from the point of view of a soldier in World War I, suffering in the trenches from the loss of his friends and the burden of the job he had to do…to “pull the trigger when no one else would.”  He knew we were in extreme pain and could not really help.  He was impacted by my job.


My husband held me as I sobbed into his chest the night after I went to the hospital to visit one of the crash survivors on a day when I also visited the other survivor at home. 

Not a good combo, I know, but what was I supposed to do?  The young man called me on my cell, crying, saying he needed to talk to someone. 

What was I supposed to do? 

The mom of the young man in the hospital needed me to come to see him. 

I had to go. 

Those boys were burrowed in my heart as deeply as if they were my biological children.

What was I supposed to do? 

I waited with the parents (so thankful that their son had survived) for their boy to come out of surgery.  I waited, too.  Thankful, too.  Terrified about how this kid would look.  How would I stay strong for him and his parents when all I wanted to do was fall to the ground, wailing in grief?

An hour or so later the young man opened his eyes and the first thing out of his mouth was, “Elke!  It is so good to see your face!”  He reached out his good hand to me to come to him. 

I took his hand.  I tried not to cry.  I really did…but then he remembered. 

He had his moment of remembering why he was there and he called out the name of his friend who had passed.  He begged me not to be angry with him for the accident.

Then I started to cry, which upset him, and I thought it was a good idea to leave him in peace so as not to upset him further.

I sat in a chair and honestly thought I was going to faint…if that’s what was happening.  I had never fainted before.

After I got home I told my husband that story and sobbed until I ached from the wracking of every muscle in my body.

My husband had to endure my grief.  My kids had to endure my grief. 

What I do everyday for the lives of other people’s families and kids impacts the lives of my family and kids.  Most of the time it is for the better because I love what I do.  I love working with some of the most challenging kids in the district – they make me a better person. 

But sometimes, and not often, there is a shock wave through my house, the epicenter of which is my school.  During those times my family has learned to rally around mom because she needs a little extra love.

 Right now there are shock waves galore going through my house – the epicenter is Victoria.  During these difficult times, my family is rallying around to get us through the difficulties, psychological and financial.  They give me pep talks to drown out the ignorance and the critics.  They are my life preservers.

Thank you to my family.  I can’t do what I do with out you.


No comments:

Post a Comment